Royal Mint, Tower Hill, East Smithfield, London: the main facade

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA56264
Architect/DesignerJohnson, James (d. 1807)
Smirke, Sir Robert (1780-1867)
Artist/PhotographerToomey, Bill (1922-)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1812
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP371/88
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: In 1809 the Mint relocated from the Tower of London to a new building on Tower Hill, on the former site of the Cistercian Abbey of St Mary of Grace, designed and executed by James Johnson, Surveyor to the Mint 1794-1807, and completed after his death by his successor as Surveyor, Sir Robert Smirke. The Mint moved out of these premises between 1965 and 1975 and only the main facade to new offices, with housing behind, remains.

Subject tags

windows, government buildings, columns, pediments