Royal Pavilion, Brighton: detail of the domes and a minaret

RIBApix ref no RIBA5089
Architect/DesignerNash, John (1752-1835)
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityBrighton
Subject Date1823
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleIndian Style
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceEDMN589
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Eric de Mare / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Royal Pavilion was built as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent (later King George IV). Originally the 'Marine Pavilion', a Neo-Classical building designed by Henry Holland and completed in 1787, it was transformed into this Indian style building by John Nash in 1815-1822. Using new technology, Nash enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's pavilion.

Subject tags

domes, palaces, fantastic architecture