Salisbury Cathedral: the iron choir screen

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA60312
Architect/DesignerScott, Sir George Gilbert (1811-1878)
Skidmore, Francis Alfred (1817-1896)
CountryUK: England
CitySalisbury
Subject Date1870
Image Date1878
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference20851
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The cathedral was built between 1220 and 1258. The chapter house was built between 1263 and 1284. The tower and the spire were completed by c.1330. This screen, which replaced an earlier rood screen by James Wyatt, was scrapped in 1960. Francis Skidmore, the Coventry metalworker, was Scott's collaborator in the creation of the new choir screen for Salisbury Cathedral, as he had been for the ones in Lichfield and Hereford cathedrals.

Subject tags

cathedrals, metalwork, screens