Santa Maria in Trastevere, Rome: the dome of the Avila Chapel with four angels appearing to carry the circular tempietto inside the cupola

RIBApix ref no RIBA112813
Architect/DesignerGherardi, Antonio (1638-1702)
Artist/PhotographerAnderson
CountryItaly
CityRome
Subject Date1686
Image Date1900
ViewWorm's-eye
ViewWorm's-eye
StyleBaroque
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference46199/128
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Santa Maria in Trastevere is one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure dates from 1140-1143. The Avila Chapel was added in 1686 by Antonio Gherardi.

Subject tags

Chapels, churches, sculpture, domes, Feature: Rome Eternal City