Schloss Linderhof (former Konigshauschen), Bavaria: the Cascade descending from the Music Pavilion to the Neptune fountain

RIBApix ref no RIBA15942
Architect/DesignerEffner, Carl Joseph von (1831-1884)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryGermany
CityLindehof
Subject Date1878
Image Date1966
ViewExterior
StyleItalianate
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/GER/53 (ES3085.5)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This 'Royal Villa' of King Ludwig II of Bavaria originated as a hunting lodge belonging to his father Maximilian II. Known as the 'Konigshauschen', it was enlarged by Georg Dollmann between 1870 and 1878 with a U-shaped complex centred on the King's Bedchamber. The gardens were landscaped by Carl Joseph von Effner.

Subject tags

Gardens, water features, fountains, palaces, lodges