Schloss Linderhof (former Konigshauschen), Bavaria: the south facade and fountain in the central complex

RIBApix ref no RIBA15940
Architect/DesignerDollmann, Georg Carl Heinrich von (1830-1895)
Effner, Carl Joseph von (1831-1884)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryGermany
CityLinderhof
Subject Date1878
Image Date1966
ViewExterior
StyleItalianate
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/GER/50 (ES3084.7)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This 'Royal Villa' of King Ludwig II of Bavaria originated as a hunting lodge belonging to his father Maximilian II. Known as the 'Konigshauschen', it was enlarged by Georg Dollmann between 1870 and 1878 with a U-shaped complex centred on the King's Bedchamber. Like its predecessor, the new building was a wooden post-and-infill construction.The facade was clad in stone in 1874. The gardens were landscaped by Carl Joseph von Effner.

Subject tags

Gardens, cladding, stone, fountains, palaces, lodges, timber construction