Sherborne Abbey, Dorset: the chancel with the remaining portion of the Lady Chapel on the adjacent right

RIBApix ref no RIBA26764
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CitySherborne
Subject Date1430
Image Date1954
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ABB/191
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: A Benedictine abbey was established at Sherborne in the 10th century. The abbey church was greatly extended in the 14th century while the east end was completely rebuilt after a fire in 1437. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and its church served as the parish church thereafter. The Lady Chapel was partly removed and the remaining portion became a private dwelling.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, buttresses, abbeys