Southwell Minster, Nottinghamshire: blind arcading in the chapter house

RIBApix ref no RIBA5638
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CitySouthwell
Subject Date1295
Image Date1956
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CAT/515 (ES3522)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Considered an outstanding example of Norman and Early English architecture, this church was built between 1120 and 1286. It became the Cathedral Church of Nottinghamshire in 1884. Extensive restoration, which included the rebuilding of the nave roof, was undertaken by Ewan Christian in 1851-1888.

Subject tags

cathedrals, decorative stonework, arcades