SS Oriana: the Captain's Day Room

RIBApix ref no RIBA52957
Architect/DesignerDesign Research Unit
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1959
Image Date1960
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMaltby 37/DRU (MAL 44662)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built at Vickers-Armstrong, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, SS Oriana, launched in November 1959, was the last of the Orient Steam Navigation Company's ocean liners. Absorbed into P&O in 1960, she was retired from service in 1986. The naval architect was Charles F. Morris while the Design Research Unit co-cordinated the design of the public rooms.

Subject tags

Furniture, wood, ocean liners, seating, desks, panelling, Feature Ocean Liners SS Oriana