SS Severino e Sosso, Naples: the high altar

RIBApix ref no RIBA93040
Architect/DesignerDi Palma, Giovan Francesco detto Mormanno (fl. 1506-1570)
Fanzago, Cosimo (1591-1678)
Mormanno, Giovanni Francesco (1455-1552)
Artist/PhotographerBenton, Tim
CountryItaly
CityNaples
Subject Date1641
Image Date1970
ViewInterior
StyleBaroque
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceBenton 105
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Tim Benton / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The foundations of the present church were begun in 1490 by the architect Giovanni Francesco Mormanno. It was completed in the 1560s by his son-in-law Giovan Francesco di Palma detto Mormanno, when the cupola was added. The church was redecorated in the 18th century but restored to its 16th century state in the mid 20th century. The high altar is attributed to Cosimo Fanzago, athough the statues shown here are later.

Subject tags

churches, sculpture, altars