St Bartholomew, Tong, Shropshire: the alabaster tomb of Sir Richard Vernon of Haddon Hall, Treasurer of Calais (d.1451) and his wife, Benedicta of Ludlow under the south crossing

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6924
Architect/DesignerChristian, Ewan (1814-1895)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityTong
Subject Date1519
Image Date1961
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/1075 (ES7849)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This church was built in 1409-1425 by Lady Isabel de Pembrugge (d.1446) in memory of her relatives. The only later addition was the Vernon Chantry, the so-called 'Golden Chapel', built in 1515-1519 to the south side of the south aisle. The church was restored by Ewan Christian, which was completed in 1892.

Subject tags

tombs, churches, arches, restoration, decorative stonework, statues, screens