Skip to navigation Skip to content

St Christopher's Place, Marylebone, London, seen from the south

RIBApix ref no RIBA44928
Artist/PhotographerGalwey, Reginald Hugo de Burgh (1917-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1948
Image Date1948
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP235/56
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This pedestrian link between Oxford Street to the south and Wigmore Street to the north was formerly Barrett's Court, one of the many overcrowded slums that lurked behind the respectable main streets of Marylebone in the 19th century. The alley was transformed in 1872 through the efforts of the social reformer, Octavia Hill, when the west side was rebuilt as model lodgings.

Subject tags

housing, shops, town planning, alleys