St Edmund, Southwold, Suffolk: the nave seen from the font

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6842
Architect/DesignerHoward, Frank Ernest (1888-1934)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CitySouthwold
Subject Date1500
Image Date1955
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/726 (ES1859)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This church was built in perpendicular style c.1450-1500. The 24 foot tall canopied font cover is a replacment of the original destoyed in 1643. It was designed in Gothic Revival style by the ecclesiastical architect, Frank Ernest Howard, and installed in 1935.

Subject tags

churches, arcades, church fittings, fonts