St George's, Bloomsbury, London: the east apse with a peusdo-Gothic Revival screen

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA48739
Architect/DesignerHawksmoor, Nicholas (1661-1736)
Artist/PhotographerPantlin, John (1917-2003)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1730
Image Date1954
ViewInterior
StyleGothic Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP505/115 (Pantlin 5290/1)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The main altar and reredos were moved from the east apse to the north of the church in 1781 when it underwent reorientation to accommodate a larger congregation. The east apse thus became a baptismal area. Further alterations were carried out in 1954 when this Gothic Revival screen was installed in the east apse. The main altar and reredos were restored to their original position in the east apse during the extensive restoration of church led by the World's Monument Fund Britain from 2003.

Subject tags

churches, screens, church fittings