St George's, Bloomsbury, London: the main altar with the 'Cuban' mahogany reredos positioned in the north

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA48740
Architect/DesignerHawksmoor, Nicholas (1661-1736)
Artist/PhotographerPantlin, John (1917-2003)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1730
Image Date1954
ViewInterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP505/114 (Pantlin 5290/1)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: When the church was reorientated in the 1780s, the altar and reredos were moved from the east apse to the north of the church and the east apse became a baptismal area. Further alterations were carried out in 1954, which included the addition of pseudo-Gothic Revival decoration. The church interior was reorientated to Hawksmoor's original design during the extensive restoration led by the World's Monument Fund Britain from 2003.

Subject tags

churches, columns, church fittings