St George's Chapel, Windsor: the nave with the altar in foreground, and the verger stitching the altar cloth

RIBApix ref no RIBA100001
Architect/DesignerJanyns, Henry (fl. 1453-1483)
Artist/PhotographerIngle, Richard (1927-2010)
CountryUK: England
CityWindsor
Subject Date1528
Image Date1991
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceIngle 91-28A
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Richard Ingle / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the chapel was begun by Edward IV in 1475 under the direction of the master mason, Henry Janyns, and was completed during the reign of Henry VIII in 1528. The choir and its aisles were completed in 1477-1483. The stone vaulting of the nave was completed in 1528.

Subject tags

Chapels, arches, fan vaulting, altars