St John the Baptist (Old Church), Margate, Kent: sketch of the pulpit

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA83540
Artist/PhotographerRichardson, Charles James (1806-1871)
CountryUK: England
CityMargate
Subject Date1700
Image Date1837
ViewInterior
MediumDrawing
Library ReferenceSKB246/3 f.8
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This drawing comes from a sketchbook recording visits to east Kent between 1829 and 1837. In the Georgian period, when visitors began coming to Margate as a fashionable resort, the dilapidated Norman church of St John the Baptist was developed with galleries, box pews and a triple-decker pulpit. Much of this was swept away with the restoration of 1872-1875 by Ewan Christian.

Subject tags

churches, decorative woodwork, church fittings