St Mary and All Saints, Fotheringhay, Northamptonshire

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6969
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityFotheringhay
Subject Date1450
Image Date1959
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/1258 (ES1169.3)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Originally a collegiate church on which construction began in 1412 to plans laid down by Edmund, 1st Duke of York (d. 1402), and was completed in 1430. Work on the addition of a parish church, also in Perpendicular style, to the western end began in 1434 . Fotheringhay Castle, nearby and site of the execution of Mary, Queen of the Scots in 1587, was demolished by the Stuart monarchs in the 17th century and the church allowed to fall into disrepair. What remains today is the octagonal tower, nave and aisles of the 15th parish church.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, buttresses