St Pierre Cathedral, Beauvais: the east end

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA14011
Subject Date1573
Image Date1870
Library ReferenceA108/13
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on this cathedral began in 1225, but was interrupted in 1284 by the collapse of the choir vaulting, so was not completed westwards, the nave being occupied by the earlier church of c. 997. After the collapse the roof was strengthened with additional piers (1337-1447). The transept was built in 1500-1548 with facades by Martin Chambiges. A huge spire (152 metres) was added, but collapsed in 1573, partly because there was no nave to buttress it on the western side.

Subject tags

cathedrals, buttresses