St Stephen Walbrook, City of London: the pulpit with the round altar on the left

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA59067
Architect/DesignerMoore, Henry (1898-1986)
Wren, Sir Christopher (1632-1723)
Artist/PhotographerDonat, John (1933-2004)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1680
Image Date1987
ViewInterior
StyleBaroque
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceDonat 17/11/1987 CN1
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Donat / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The church was completed in 1680 while the spire was added in 1713-1714. The central round altar was designed by Henry Moore in 1972 and installed in 1978-87 as part of a restoration conceived by Lord Palumbo.

Subject tags

churches, columns, church fittings