Stone lion with the Campanile behind, Portmeirion

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA48175
Architect/DesignerWilliams-Ellis, Sir Clough (1883-1978)
Artist/PhotographerLambert, Sam (1927-1981)
CountryUK: Wales
Subject Date1973
Image Date1973
Library ReferenceAP Box 210 Portmeirion
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The stone lion was presented to Sir Clough Williams-Ellis on his 90th birthday on 28th May, 1973, by his friends and family. It was originally located outside Cliff House but was moved to the toilet block in 1979. The Campanile was completed in 1928.

Subject tags

town planning, belfries, bell towers, sculpture, stone, fantastic architecture, statues, villages