Terraced housing, Ghyllgrove, Basildon, Essex

RIBApix ref no RIBA61520
Architect/DesignerBasildon Development Corporation. Department of Architecture & Planning
Artist/PhotographerSnoek, Henk (1915-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityBasildon
Subject Date1960
Image Date1961
ViewExterior
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceS61 611
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Basildon, created from the conglomeration of four small villages, namely Pitsea, Laindon, Basildon and Vange, was designated a new town in 1948, together with the other London orbital developments of Stevenage, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950.

Subject tags

housing, houses, brickwork, hard landscaping, new towns