The Dome, Brighton: the south elevation

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA74191
Architect/DesignerAtkinson, Robert (1883-1952)
Lockwood, Philip
Porden, William (1755-1822)
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityBrighton
Subject Date1808
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleIndian Style
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceBH/RES G/20/B
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Eric de Mare / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Dome was built as stables and riding house for the Prince of Wales in 1804-8. It was converted into a concert hall and gallery in 1857-73 by Philip Lockwood and remodelled 1901-2 by Francis J. May and again in 1934 by Robert Atkinson.

Subject tags

People, domes, cultural centres, stables