The Lawn, Harlow, Essex: south facade of the 3-storey block with connecting link to the tower

RIBApix ref no RIBA63888
Architect/DesignerGibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
Artist/PhotographerWainwright, Herbert Lionel (1902-1976)
CountryUK: England
CityHarlow
Subject Date1951
Image Date1951
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP 754 Harlow (Wainwirght 10361)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain.

Subject tags

flats, housing, brickwork, new towns