The Shot Tower and the Royal Festival Hall, South Bank, London, seen from Waterloo Bridge

RIBApix ref no RIBA47675
Architect/DesignerLondon County Council. Architects Department
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1962
Image Date1962
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP Box 180 London (1)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Royal Festival Hall was designed by the LCC Architects Department and opened in 1951 for the Festival of Britain. The Shot Tower, designed by David Riddal Roper, was built for Thomas Maltby & Company in 1826 and remained in use for the production of lead shot balls until 1949, after which it was incorporated into the scheme for the 1951 Festival of Britain on the South Bank of the River Thames. In 1950 the top of the tower was removed and a steel-framed superstructure was added instead, providing a radio beacon for the duration of the Festival. It was demolished after the Festival to make way for the Queen Elizabeth Hall, which opened in 1967.

Subject tags

towers, riverside buildings, exhibition buildings, concert halls, rivers, bridges, boats, piers