The Underwriting Room (the 'Room'), Lloyd's building extension, 51 Lime Street, City of London

RIBApix ref no RIBA26512
Architect/DesignerHeysham, Terence E. (1897-1967)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1957
Image Date1964
ViewInterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/LON/271 (ES10633)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The first Lloyd's building at 12 Leadenhall Street was a neoclassical design by Sir Edwin Cooper in 1928. Due to expansion, a second building was constructed to designs by Terence Heysham in 1950-1957 and became known as the 1958 building. Lloyd's moved again to a new building, designed by Richard Rogers, in 1986. The 1958 building was demolished in 2004 to make way for the Willis Building.

Subject tags

office buildings, halls