Tower of St John's Church, flanked by derelict houses, Scandrett Street, Wapping, London

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA116637
Architect/DesignerJohnson, Joel (1721-1799)
Artist/PhotographerCharles, Martin (1940-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1756
Image Date1983
ViewExterior
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceMC S 020183
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Martin Charles / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Only the tower and the shell of this church, the former parish church of Wapping, survived the bombing during World War II. The tower with its Baroque style cupola was restored in 1964 by the London County Council. The rest of the church was converted into flats in the late 1990s.

Subject tags

houses, churches, inns, public houses, clock towers, dereliction