Tower of the Winds (Horologion of Andronikos Kyrrhestes), Roman Agora, Athens

RIBApix ref no RIBA9250
Artist/PhotographerCox, Bernard Hugh (1907?-1986)
CountryGreece
CityAthens
Subject Date-49
Image Date1970
ViewExterior
StyleGreek
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceGR 207
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Bernard Cox / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This octagonal tower dates from the 1st century BC and was originally the 'Horolgion of Andronykos Kyrrhestes'. It served as a water clock until the 6th century. The sides of the tower indicate the eight points of the Athenian compass, and the eight winds associated with these points are represented allegorically on the marble frieze that runs around the tower.

Subject tags

towers, sculpture, marble, decorative stonework, sundials