Town centre, Stevenage, Hertfordshire: Town Square with the clock tower on the left

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA52881
Architect/DesignerStevenage Development Corporation
Vincent, Leonard (1916-2007)
Artist/PhotographerMaltby, John (1910-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityStevenage
Subject Date1959
Image Date1959
ViewTopographical
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceMaltby 33/ABN (MAL39232)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit John Maltby / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Stevenage was designated as England's first New Town in 1946, followed by the other London orbital developments of Basildon, Harlow, Hemel Hempstead and Bracknell. The development of the New Towns, built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London, was overseen by Lewis Silkin, 1st Baron Silkin (1888-1972), the Minister for Town and Country Planning from 1945 to 1950. Leonard Vincent was the Chief Architect responsible for the town centre.

Subject tags

town planning, water features, new towns, clock towers, supermarkets