Tynwald, Buck's Road, Douglas: close-up of the decorated stucco facade and spherical portico

RIBApix ref no RIBA69148
Architect/DesignerRobinson, John (1798-1880)
Artist/PhotographerTutt, Patricia A.
CountryIsle of Man
CityDouglas
Subject Date1855
Image Date2008
ViewExterior
StyleVictorian
MediumDigital image
Library Reference2008-09-23 - P9235595
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Patricia Tutt / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Locally known as the 'wedding cake', this building was originally the Bank of Mona, a subsidiary of the City of Glasgow Bank. When the parent bank collapsed in 1878, this bank was forced to close and the premises were acquired by the Insular Government in 1879.

Subject tags

parliament buildings, banks, restoration, conversion of buildings, capitals, columns, porticos, decorative plasterwork, pediments, cornices