Viaduct across the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal at Oxley near Wolverhampton

RIBApix ref no RIBA50774
Architect/DesignerBrindley, James (1716-1772)
Artist/PhotographerDe Wolfe, Ivy
CountryUK: England
CityOxley
Subject Date1850
Image Date1960
ViewExterior
StyleVictorian
MediumPhotoprint
Library Reference33724/2
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Engineered by James Brindley, the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal was opened from Stourport to Great Haywood in 1772 and follows the land contours through the valleys of the rivers Stour, Smestow, Penk and Sow. Built in the 1850s, the viaduct carried the former Geat Western Railway Birmingham to Shrewsbury line.

Subject tags

brickwork, arches, railway viaducts, canals