Waagehaus (the old weigh-house), Wool Market, Braunschweig

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA27687
Architect/DesignerKrahe, Friedrich Maria (1804-1888)
Artist/PhotographerDeakin, Ralph (1888-1952)
CountryGermany
CityBraunschweig
Subject Date1534
Image Date1930
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceDK/G/94/1
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Ralph Deakin / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Waagehaus (the old weigh-house) was constructed in 1534 as a weighing and storage house. From 1854-1862 the structure, which had become neglected and dilapidated, was restored by Friedrich Krahe. During this restoration, far-reaching changes were made to the façade, which were largely reversed in 1937-1939. The building was destroyed by bombing during the night of October 14th-15th, 1944, along with the entire New City. It was rebuilt down to the last detail in 1994 and was subsequently used by the Volkshochschule.

Subject tags

government buildings, restoration, conversion of buildings, colleges, timber construction