Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex: the lower canal of the top terrace with concrete abstracted 'lions head' bas reliefs disgorging water designed by William Mitchell

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA10421
Architect/DesignerCrowe, Dame Sylvia (1901-1997)
Gibberd, Sir Frederick (1908-1984)
Harlow Development Corporation. Architects' Department
Mitchell, William (1925-)
Artist/PhotographerSnoek, Henk (1915-1980)
CountryUK: England
CityHarlow
Subject Date1958
Image Date1963
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceS63 3634
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Henk Snoek / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Harlow New Town, together with the London orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead, was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London. The masterplan for the town was drawn up by Frederick Gibberd in 1947. It is notable for being the location of the first pedestrian precinct and first residential tower block in Britain. The Water Gardens were designed by Frederick Gibberd with Gerry Perrin of Harlow Development Corporation Architect's Department in 1958-1959 and were completed in 1963. Sylvia Crowe advised on the layout and planting of the gardens.

Subject tags

Gardens, town planning, water features, new towns