Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the east cloister walk

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA91955
Artist/PhotographerIngle, Richard (1927-2010)
CountryUK: England
CityWells
Subject Date1420
Image Date1989
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceIngle 89-24
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Richard Ingle / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral, a masterpiece of Early English style, began in 1180 and was largely completed by the time of its dedication in 1239. The west front was completed in 1209-1250, the chapter house in 1306 and the Lady Chapel in 1326. William Wynford was appointed master mason in 1365 when he built the south-west tower of the west front. He also designed the north-west tower which was added in the 1400s.

Subject tags

cathedrals, vaulting, cloisters