Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the steps leading to the chapter house on the right and straight on to the Chain Bridge and Vicars' Hall

RIBApix ref no RIBA53530
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityWells
Subject Date1460
Image Date1968
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CAT/870 (ESB12584)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral, a masterpiece of Early English style, began in 1180 and was largely completed by the time of its dedication in 1239. The west front was completed in 1209-1250, the chapter house in 1306 and the Lady Chapel in 1326. William Wynford was appointed master mason in 1365 when he built the south-west tower of the west front. He also designed the north-west tower which was added in the 1400s.

Subject tags

stairs, cathedrals