Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the steps leading to the chapter house on the right

RIBApix ref no RIBA100383
Artist/PhotographerIngle, Richard (1927-2010)
CountryUK: England
CityWells
Subject Date1348
Image Date1996
ViewInterior
StyleGothic
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceIngle 96-16A
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Richard Ingle / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral began in 1180 and was completed by the Lady Chapel in 1326. The nave was completed in 1220-1229. The scissor-arches (inverted strainer arches) were built c. 1338-1348 to support the tower when the foundations of the two western piers sank into the ground. The Chapter House steps were built from 1286 and the upper flight in 1459-1460.

Subject tags

arches, stairs, cathedrals