Wells Cathedral, Somerset: the west front after completion of the restoration of the statues

RIBApix ref no RIBA91943
Artist/PhotographerIngle, Richard (1927-2010)
CountryUK: England
CityWells
Subject Date1400
Image Date1988
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceIngle 88-59
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Richard Ingle / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Construction on the original cathedral, a masterpiece of Early English style, began in 1180 and was largely completed by the time of its dedication in 1239. The west front was completed in 1209-1250, the chapter house in 1306 and the Lady Chapel in 1326. William Wynford was appointed master mason in 1365 when he built the south-west tower of the west front. He also designed the north-west tower which was added in the 1400s.

Subject tags

sculpture, cathedrals