West Norwood Cemetery, London: St Stephen's Mortuary Chapel in the Greek Orthodox cemetery

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA10570
Architect/DesignerScott, John Oldrid (1841-1913)
Tite, Sir William (1798-1873)
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1867
Image Date1968
ViewExterior
StyleClassical Revival
MediumNegative
Library ReferenceEDMN1214
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Eric de Mare / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments. This Doric tetrastyle temple was built c. 1872 to commemorate Augustus Ralli, and its design is attributed to John Olrid Scott.

Subject tags

Chapels, cemeteries, tombs, porticos, temples