West Norwood Cemetery, London: St Stephen's Mortuary Chapel in the Greek Orthodox cemetery

RIBApix ref no RIBA48793
Architect/DesignerScott, John Oldrid (1841-1913)
Tite, Sir William (1798-1873)
Artist/Photographerde Mare, Eric (1910-2002)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1872
Image Date1968
ViewExterior
StyleGreek Revival
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP506/132
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Originally known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, this 40-acre cemetery was consecrated in 1837. William Tite, who was the architect for the development company, was responsible for the landscaping and the design of some of the monuments. This Doric tetrastyle temple was built c. 1872 to commemorate Augustus Ralli, and its design is attributed to John Olrid Scott.

Subject tags

Chapels, cemeteries, tombs, columns, temples