Westminster Theatre Arts Centre, Palace Street, Buckingham Palace Road, London: corner detail showing the Welsh slate cladding

RIBApix ref no RIBA56924
Architect/DesignerJohn & Sylvia Reid
Artist/PhotographerLambert, Sam (1927-1981)
CountryUK: England
CityLondon
Subject Date1966
Image Date1967
ViewExterior
StyleModern Movement
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceAP464/14
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Architectural Press Archive / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The Westminster Theatre, formerly the St James's Picture Theatre, was established on this site in 1931. The building, originally the eighteenth century Charlotte Chapel, was converted into an arts centre in 1966 to designs by John & Sylvia Reid. A two-storey office extension by the same architects was added above the theatre in 1973. The complex was destroyed by fire in 2002.

Subject tags

windows, cladding, theatres, cultural centres, conversion of buildings, slate