William Henry Street, Saltaire, West Yorkshire

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA90878
Architect/DesignerLockwood & Mawson
Artist/PhotographerBenton, Charlotte
CountryUK: England
CitySaltaire
Subject Date1850
Image Date1992
ViewExterior
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceBenton 92-27-29
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Charlotte Benton / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Saltaire was named after the millowner Sir Titus Salt, who created a new town for his workers with the architects Lockwood and Mawson from 1850. By 1872, 820 houses had been built.

Subject tags

houses, town planning