Witley Court, Great Witley, Worcestershire: the giant portico on the south front

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA9656
Architect/DesignerDaukes, Samuel Whitfield (1811-1880)
Nash, John (1752-1835)
Artist/PhotographerElwall, Robert (1953-2012)
CountryUK: England
CityGreat Witley
Subject Date1801
Image Date1999
ViewExterior
StyleNeoclassical
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceSCGB16583
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit Robert Elwall / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Originally built in 1655, Witley Court was remodelled by John Nash in c. 1806. It was remodelled again in Italianate style in 1854-1860 for the first Earl of Dudley by Samuel Daukes. The terraces and the gardens were laid out by William Andrew Nesfield at the same time. The house was devastated by fire in 1937 after which it was stripped and abandoned until taken into the care of English Heritage in 1984.

Subject tags

entrances, country houses, ruins, porticos, colonnades, balustrades