Wolterton Manor House (now East Barsham Manor), East Barsham, Norfolk

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA10074
Artist/PhotographerRepton, John Adey (1775-1860)
CountryUK: England
CityEast Barsham
Subject Date1520
Image Date1811
ViewExterior
StyleTudor
MediumPrint
Library ReferenceE.a.72/4
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Prior to the early 20th century the house was known as Wolterton Manor. It was built in the 1520s by Sir Henry Fermor whose coat of arms are on the gatehouse. The house fell into ruin in the 18th century and remained so until the first restoration in 1922. This was done by the architect John Page of Holtom & Page, who then went on to substantially reconstruct the Manor in 1936-1938. The image seen here by John Repton shows the house in its ruinous state without its roof. SOURCE: Vetusta monumenta, vol. 4 (London, 1815), plate 25

Subject tags

country houses, ruins