Worksop Priory, Nottinghamshire: the south side with the south transept (centre), flanked by the Norman nave on the left and the Early English style Lady Chapel on the right

RIBApix ref no RIBA26817
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityWorksop
Subject Date1200
Image Date1958
ViewExterior
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/ABB/476 (ES5019)
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This church formed part of the Augustinian priory founded at Worksop in 1103. The monastery was was dissolved in 1539, but the church was saved and used thereafter as a parish church. The nave is Norman while the Lady Chapel is a 13th century addition. The south transept was rebuilt in 1929.

Subject tags

belfries, bell towers, churches, monasteries & convents