Wurzburg Residence, Wurzburg: the central entrance block with the fountain in front

RIBApix ref no RIBA114852
Architect/DesignerHildebrandt, Johann Lucas von (1668-1745)
Neumann, Balthasar (1687-1753)
Welsch, Johann Maximilian von (1671-1745)
Artist/PhotographerValinsky, David
Subject Date1744
Image Date2017
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceValinsky 20170828 Wurzburg furstbischofliche Residenz-25
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit David Valinsky / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built as the palace of the Prince-Bishops to the plans of Balthasar Neumann, though modified by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Johann Maxmilian von Welsch. The fountain was unveiled in 1894 as a tribute by the city of Wurzburg and the whole of Franconia (the district in which Wurzburg sits) to Luitpold the Prince Regent of Bavaria (1821-1912), who was born in the palace.

Subject tags

sculpture, fountains, palaces, statues, insignia, emblems