Wurzburg Residence, Wurzburg: the fountain in the cour d'honneur

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA114854
Architect/DesignerHildebrandt, Johann Lucas von (1668-1745)
Neumann, Balthasar (1687-1753)
Welsch, Johann Maximilian von (1671-1745)
Artist/PhotographerValinsky, David
Subject Date1744
Image Date2017
MediumDigital image
Library ReferenceValinsky 20170828 Wurzburg furstbischofliche Residenz-27
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit David Valinsky / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: Built as the palace of the Prince-Bishops to the plans of Balthasar Neumann, though modified by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and Johann Maxmilian von Welsch. The fountain was unveiled in 1894 as a tribute by the city of Wurzburg and the whole of Franconia (the district in which Wurzburg sits) to Luitpold the Prince Regent of Bavaria (1821-1912), who was born in the palace.

Subject tags

fountains, palaces