Wymondham Abbey, Norfolk: the nave, formerly the south aisle of the abbey, looking towards the reredos by Sir Ninian Comper

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA6818
Architect/DesignerComper, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
Subject Date1125
Image Date1959
Library ReferenceESP/CHU/588 (ES5328)
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This, the former monastery church of the Benedictine abbey of Wymondham (originally a priory and raised to the status of abbey in 1448), was completed c. 1130. The abbey was dissolved in 1538 and the bell tower and the whole of the eastern part of the church, together with the monastic buildings, fell into ruin. The south aisle was recovered towards the end of the 16th century and thereafter served as the parish church, dedicated to St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury. The Perpendicular angel roof and clerestory were added in the 15th century. The reredos by Sir Ninian Comper was dedicated in 1921 as a war memorial.

Subject tags

churches, war memorials, arcades, screens, church fittings