Wymondham Abbey, Norfolk

RIBApix ref no RIBA11183
Artist/PhotographerFelton, Leo Herbert (d. 1968)
CountryUK: England
CityWymondham
Subject Date1400
Image Date1940
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceBH/ECCL/14/A
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: This Benedictine abbey (originally a priory and raised to the status of abbey in 1448) was founded in 1107. The monastery church was completed by c. 1130. The central tower was replaced in c. 1376 by a tall octagonal bell tower (now ruined). The Perpendicular west tower was added in 1450.The abbey was dissolved in 1538 and the bell tower and the whole of the eastern part of the church, together with the monastic buildings, fell into ruin. The south aisle was recovered towards the end of the 16th century and thereafter served as the parish church.

Subject tags

towers, belfries, bell towers, churches, ruins, abbeys