York Minster: the vault and the Five Sisters Window of the north transept

RIBApix ref no RIBA26886
Artist/PhotographerSmith, Edwin (1912-1971)
CountryUK: England
CityYork
Subject Date1260
Image Date1960
ViewWorm's-eye
StyleGothic
MediumPhotoprint
Library ReferenceESP/CAT/608 (ES7431)
OrientationLandscape
Colour / B&W Black and white
Credit Edwin Smith / RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The rebuilding of the Minster in Gothic styles began between 1230 and 1241 with the southern wing of the transept built by Archbishop de Gray. The north transept was built slightly later by John le Romeyn and completed c.1255. The Five Sisters Window, completed in 1260, contains the largest amount of Early English 'grisaille' glass in a single window, anywhere in the world.

Subject tags

windows, cathedrals, vaulting, stained glass (<materials>)