York Minster: the west front

Coronavirus update: Our printing service continues to operate as usual, with framed and unframed prints available for delivery in normal timescales. We would like to reassure our customers that we are observing government advice on COVID-19 and adhering to all guidance and best practice.

RIBApix ref no RIBA3777
Architect/DesignerMaster Richard Ketelbarn
Artist/PhotographerCox, Bernard Hugh (1907?-1986)
CountryUK: England
CityYork
Subject Date1477
Image Date1974
ViewExterior
StyleGothic
Medium35mm Transparency
Library ReferenceGB 1158
OrientationPortrait
Colour / B&W Colour
Credit RIBA Collections
Notes NOTES: The rebuilding of the Minster in Gothic styles began between 1230 and c.1241 with the southern wing of the transept, built by Archbishop de Gray. Work on the west front in Decorated style began in 1291 and was completed up to the roof of the nave in 1338. The south tower was built in 1433-1477, and the north tower in 1470-1477. The Great West Window, known locally as the 'Heart of Yorkshire', was painted by Master Richard Ketelbarn between 1338 and 1339.

Subject tags

windows, belfries, bell towers, cathedrals